- Highlighted Programmes
- All Events
- Events at Hong Kong Central Library
- Hong Kong Library Festival
- Interactive Storytelling with Author
- Reading Promotion Activities@RTHK Programme
- Reading Programme for Children and Youth
- Hong Kong Public Libraries Reading Clubs
- 4．23 World Book Day
- Thematic Storytelling Workshops
- Paired Reading Talks and Workshops
- Extensive Reading to Broaden the Horizons
- Other Reading Activities
- Past Activities
- Summer Reading Fiesta
- Literary Activities
- Awards / Competitions
- Hong Kong Literature Festival
- Talks / Workshops
- IT Activities
- Storytelling for Children
- Hot Topics
The Hong Kong Public Libraries organises the "4.23 World Book Day Creative Competition" in 2021 on the theme, “Exploring the New Frontiers of Reading”, in support of the World Book Day on 23rd April. The competition, which integrates with reading and creativity, aims to broaden and deepen the reading scope of children and youth that they are able to grow up towards enriched lives with reading.
In view of the latest situation of COVID-19, new submission method of entries has been introduced:
1. Except the Junior Primary Category, entries of other categories can be submitted by email.
a. The entry must be submitted in MS Word or in pdf format with A4 size.
b. Please indicate the number of entries of each category enclosed in the email.
c. Email address:
2. Schools may submit the photocopies of application forms with school chops only if the signatures of students cannot be obtained in time. Please send the application forms with student signatures and school chops later.
3. For submission of entries in person, please hand in the entries to the Extension Activities Unit office during the office hours stated below.
Room 901, 9/F, Fa Yuen Street Municipal Services Bldg., 123A Fa Yuen Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon.
(Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. & 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Enquiry: 2921 2660
Junior Primary (P1 - P3)
Topic: “My Reading Place”
Draw a watercolour picture to show a reading place that you design.
Senior Primary (P4 - P6)
Chinese / English
Topic: “Something New in Reading”
Write a letter to your teacher, family member or friend to introduce and share a printed book or e-book from which you learn something new.
300 - 400 words (including all punctuations)
Junior Secondary (S1 - S3)
Chinese / English
Topic: “A Good Book will …”
Select a good printed book or e-book and write a book report to introduce the content and share your views. Write your own topic for the book report.
650 - 800 words (including all punctuations)
Senior Secondary (S4 - S6)
Chinese / English
Topic: “New Frontiers of Reading”
Write an essay to illustrate your reading experiences and share your views on exploring the new frontiers of reading through reading more than one piece of reading materials (including at least one printed book or e-book). Write your own topic for the essay.
1,000 - 1,200 words (including all punctuations)
Junior Primary Category – 25
Senior Primary Chinese Category – 15; Senior Primary English Category – 8
Junior Secondary Chinese Category – 15; Junior Secondary English Category – 8
Senior Secondary Chinese Category – 12; Senior Secondary English Category – 5
A book coupon at HK$500, a medal and a certificate will be awarded to each winner. A trophy will also be awarded to the school of each award winner.
5 January 2021 (For entries sent by post, the postmark date will be regarded as the date of submission. Late submission and mail items with insufficient postage will not be accepted.)
- All entries should be nominated and submitted by schools.
- Please ensure that sufficient postage is paid to avoid unsuccessful delivery of mails.
Teachers and members from the education profession and related organisations.
Result will be announced in April 2021. Schools of award winners will receive individual notification. All award winners and schools will be invited to attend the Prize Presentation Ceremony held in April 2021. Roving exhibitions of the winning entries will be held at Hong Kong Public Libraries from late April onwards.
2921 2660 (Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. & 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
Education Bureau, Hong Kong Teacher-Librarians’ Association, Hong Kong Reading Association, Association of Innovative Reading