- Highlighted Programmes
- All Events
- Events at Hong Kong Central Library
- Reading KOL - Short Video Competition 2018
- Fun Reading at Your Neighbourhood – Pop-up Library
- Reading Programme for Children and Youth
- Hong Kong Public Libraries Reading Clubs
- 4．23 World Book Day
- Thematic Storytelling Workshops
- Paired Reading Talks and Workshops
- Extensive Reading to Broaden the Horizons
- Other Reading Activities
- Summer Reading Fiesta
- Literary Activities
- Awards / Competitions
- Hong Kong Literature Festival
- Talks / Workshops
- IT Activities
- Storytelling for Children
- Hot Topics
The Hong Kong Public Libraries organises the "4·23 World Book Day Creative Competition" in 2019 on the theme, “Let’s Share the Joy of Reading”, in support of the World Book Day on 23rd April.
The objective of the competition is to broaden and diversify the reading scope of children and youth, and encourage them to enjoy reading in a sea of books and enrich their own life.
Junior Primary (P1 - P3)
Topic: “My Beloved Book”
Draw a picture of book cover to show your beloved book or a segment of the book. Use a maximum of 30 words in Chinese or English to illustrate the scene of the picture.
Senior Primary (P4 - P6)
Chinese / English
Topic: “My Favourite Book”
Write a letter to your teacher, family member or friend to introduce and share your favourite book or a book that has touched you emotionally. (printed or electronic version).
300 - 400 words (including all punctuations)
Junior Secondary (S1 - S3)
Chinese / English
Topic: “Reading makes me …”
Choose a book (printed or electronic version) and write an essay to introduce the content of the book and share your views. Submit the topic and choose any literary genre you like.
650 - 800 words (including all punctuations)
Senior Secondary (S4 - S6)
Chinese / English
Topic: “One’s Journey in Reading”
Write an essay to illustrate your experience of reading book and express your views through reading more than one piece of reading materials (including at least one book item either in printed or electronic version) related to the theme. Choose any literary genre you like.
1,000 - 1,200 words (including all punctuations)
Junior Primary Category – 25
Senior Primary Chinese Category – 15; Senior Primary English Category – 8
Junior Secondary Chinese Category – 15; Junior Secondary English Category – 8
Senior Secondary Chinese Category – 12; Senior Secondary English Category – 5
A book coupon at HK$500, a medal and a certificate will be awarded to each winner. A trophy will also be awarded to the school of each award winner.
3 January 2019 (For entries sent by post, the postmark dates will be regarded as the date of submission.)
- All entries should be nominated and submitted by schools.
- Please ensure that sufficient postage is paid to avoid unsuccessful delivery of mails.
Teachers and members from the education profession and related organisations.
Result will be announced in April 2019. Schools of award winners will receive individual notification. All award winners and schools will be invited to attend the Prize Presentation Ceremony held in April 2019. Roving exhibitions of the winning entries will be held at Hong Kong Public Libraries from late April onwards.
2921 2660 (Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. & 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
Education Bureau, Hong Kong Teacher-Librarians’ Association, Hong Kong Reading Association
- Junior Primary Category
- Senior Primary Chinese Category
- Senior Primary English Category
- Junior Secondary Chinese Category
- Junior Secondary English Category
- Senior Secondary Chinese Category
- Senior Secondary English Category