- Highlighted Programmes
- All Events
- Events at Hong Kong Central Library
- Hong Kong Library Festival
- Take a Break - eReading Corner
- Joyful Reading at Your Neighbourhood – Pop-up Library 2020-2021
- An Adventure with Book-loving Whale
- Story Time on Live: Read and Move with Celebrity Moms
- Reading Promotion Activities@RTHK Programme
- Interactive Story Zoom
- Book Bag Pick-n-Read
- Fun Reading at Hong Kong Historic Buildings
- Interactive Storytelling with Author
- Reading Programme for Children and Youth
- Hong Kong Public Libraries Reading Clubs
- 4．23 World Book Day Creative Competition
- Thematic Storytelling Workshops
- Paired Reading Talks and Workshops
- Extensive Reading to Broaden the Horizons
- Other Reading Activities
- Past Activities
- Summer Reading Fiesta
- Literary Activities
- Awards / Competitions
- Hong Kong Literature Festival
- Talks / Workshops
- IT Activities
- Storytelling for Children
- Hot Topics
Reading Programme for Children and Youth
To stimulate the interest of children and youth in reading, cultivate their reading habits, widen their scope of reading and knowledge, enhance their ability in language usage and encourage parents’ active participation in paired reading.
Family (Kindergarten to Primary 3, accompanied by parent)
Senior Primary (Primary 4-6)
Junior Secondary (Form 1-3)
Senior Secondary (Form 4-6)
2. Members must be registered patrons of the Hong Kong Public Libraries.
3. Record Book:
- Each member will be given a record book, "Reading Footprints of Reading Programme for Children and Youth", to record the reading progress, including information of printed and electronic books read and borrowed from the Hong Kong Public Libraries or his / her school library, information of the completed "Sharing My Joyful Reading" and " Recommending My Favourite Book" submitted to the Hong Kong Public Libraries, and information on the participation in the "Monthly Meeting of Joyful Reading" of the Hong Kong Public Libraries.
- All valid records would be recognized by a stamp marked by the Hong Kong Public Libraries or school libraries. Members should provide their record book at the library counter for verification when they return the books that borrowed or read at the public libraries. Reading records in the schools should be verified by the school teachers.
- Members may return the completed record book to the public libraries and request a new one when they have filled up all the blank entries in any of the following sections: Reading Footprints, Sharing My Joyful Reading, Recommending My Favourite Book or Monthly Meeting of Joyful Reading.
- Members who have returned the completed record book will receive a "Member's Record". The "Member's Record" will summarize the numbers of the books read and activities participated. Members should keep the "Member's Record" for verification in future.
4. Annual Summary:
- Annual reading records of existing member shall be counted from the 1st September till 31st August of the next year. Annul reading records of the newly joined members will be counted from the date of enrollment and accumulated till 31st August.
- Members who wish to get the Reading Certificate shall return the record book to the public library that he/she registered membership for consolidation on or before 31st August, and get a fresh record book for the new year-round on or after 1st September.
- Reading records before 1st September each year cannot be brought forward to the Annual Summary of next year-round.
5. Reading Activities and Awards:
5.1 Reading Certificate:
- Certificates that certify the numbers of books read will be awarded to members who read six or more books within the period. Collection of certificates will be announced in the Reading Programme Member Newsletter and the library webpage (http://www.hkpl.gov.hk/rp).
- Members shall bring along his / her membership card and go to the library where he / she registered the membership to get the certificate from December of the same year to November of next year. Information on membership registration is based on the record as of 31st August each year. Certificate will not be re-issued after the deadline.
- School/organization with the highest total score of books read by its nominated members within the period will be presented a trophy of "Most Active School in Promoting Reading". School/organization which has successfully nominated the largest number of members during the period will be presented a trophy of "Most Active School in Promoting Participation".
5.2 "Sharing My Joyful Reading", "Stars of the Month" & "Reading Supernova":
- Members who submit "Sharing My Joyful Reading" may be recommended by librarians for the selection of "Stars of the Month". The selection result of each category of "Stars of the Month" will be announced in the Reading Programme Member Newsletter that posted up in libraries and the library webpage (http://www.hkpl.gov.hk/rp).
- After the year-round consolidation, the winners of each category will be presented the certificates and medals of "Stars of the Month". For the best three winners of each category, each will be presented a certificate and medal of "Reading Supernova".
- Winners of "Stars of the Month" and "Reading Supernova" will be informed individually by mail for the details of prize presentation ceremony.
5.3 "Recommending My Favourite Book" and Souvenir:
Member who recommends book to other members for reading by using the form of "Recommending My Favourite Book" will receive a souvenir.
5.4 "Monthly Meeting of Joyful Reading" & "Elite of Joyful Reading":
- Each of the most active 20 members in attending "Monthly Meeting of Joyful Reading" of Reading Programme for Children and Youth will be presented a medal of "Elite of Joyful Reading".
- For details of the monthly meeting such as date/time, theme and target categories, please read the Reading Programme Member Newsletter and visit the library webpage (http://www.hkpl.gov.hk/rp).
1. Applicant may join individually or through the nomination of a school or an organization.
2. Application forms are available at any Hong Kong Public Libraries or downloaded from this webpage (http://www.hkpl.gov.hk/rp).
3. When submitting application form, it is required to produce a valid library card of Hong Kong Public Libraries. If the applicant is nominated by a school / organization, the application should be endorsed by the nominator with a stamp chop. Individual members are required to fill out section A of the Application Form. Nominated members are required to fill out both section A and B of the Application Form.
- Application Form
- "Sharing My Joyful Reading" Forms (Chinese / English / Drawing)
- "Recommending My Favourite Book" Form
- "Updating Membership Information" Form
- "Reading Programme for Children and Youth" Poster
- "Reading Activities and Awards" Poster
Organized by The Hong Kong Public Libraries
Supported by Education Bureau, Hong Kong Reading Association and Hong Kong Teacher-Librarians' Association.