Introduction to Books Registration
Latest arrangements on the services of Books Registration Office
From 19 February, the Books Registration Office has resumed normal public services. The enquiry counter will be open from 8:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. from Mondays to Fridays (public holidays excluded).
In the interest of public health, visitors are advised to wear their own masks and required to scan the “LeaveHomeSafe” QR code or register their names, contact numbers, and date and time of visit before being allowed to enter the office, for necessary contact tracing if a confirmed case is found. "LeaveHomeSafe" QR codes are displayed at office entrance for visitors to scan and record their visit. Appeals are made to visitors to download and install the "LeaveHomeSafe" mobile app in advance and scan the QR code with the app before entering the office in order to keep a more precise record of their whereabouts, minimising the risk of further transmission of the virus. (Details)
The Books Registration Office (BRO) is under the administration of the Hong Kong Public Libraries, Leisure and Cultural Services Department. The main functions of the BRO are:
- To preserve Hong Kong's cultural heritage through registration and preservation of local published/printed books.
- To enforce the Books Registration Ordinance (Cap. 142) which stipulates that 5 copies of each book first printed, produced or published in Hong Kong are to be deposited with the BRO.
- To compile a comprehensive bibliography of current Hong Kong publications, which is gazetted quarterly as "A Catalogue of Books Printed in Hong Kong" (the Catalogue) at Special Supplement No.4 of the Government of the Hong Kong SAR Gazette for public inspection. (See Notes below for accessing the Catalogue)
- To administer as local ISBN registration agency in Hong Kong and promote the use of the ISBN system among publishers and book-selling trades.
- To supply information on Hong Kong publishers to the International ISBN Agency for the preparation of the annual Publishers' International ISBN Directory.
Hardcopies of "the Catalogue" is available for public reference at the reference libraries of the Hong Kong Central Library and City Hall Public Library. To access the deposited items for research purpose, please contact reference librarian on duty at Reference Library of Hong Kong Central Library or call 2921-0222 for details.
- Electronic version for "the Catalogue" (the e-Catalogue) is available from the pull-down menu below:
3rd Quarter of 2020: Chinese and English Books & Periodicals
2nd Quarter of 2020: Chinese and English Books & Periodicals
1st Quarter of 2020: Chinese and English Books & Periodicals
4th Quarter of 2019: Chinese and English Books & Periodicals
4th Quarter of 2019: Other information
(All e-Catalogue will be removed after posting for 12 months counting from the gazette date.)