The Map Library is located at the 5/F of Hong Kong Central Library. It is a part of the Special Reference unit and the materials in the collection are for reference use. The aim of Map Library is to be a comprehensive map information centre in Hong Kong by collecting all kinds of maps and cartographic information for use by the general public.
- Provide access to maps and cartographic information for the general public to meet their needs
- Provide current and research oriented collection of cartographic information
- Provide reference services on cartography in support of the library reference information services
CD-ROM workstation is provided in the library for public access to the CD-ROMs and digitized cartographic information. Besides, large-sized map reading tables are installed for reader's use.
The Map Library collects various kinds of maps, with emphasis on the Hong Kong SAR, Mainland China and major countries in the world. Its collections include:
- Different kinds of maps like general maps, topographic maps, thematic maps, city maps and historical maps
- Different kinds of atlases like general world atlases, national atlases, provincial atlases of China, city atlases and thematic atlases
- Old photos and aerial photos of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Street Naming Plans
- Reference books, newspaper clippings and leaflet information on Hong Kong places
Some of the maps and old photos of Hong Kong have been digitized after clearance of copyright and can be accessed via the Multimedia Information System of Hong Kong Public Libraries.
Members of public are welcome to search the Library Catalogue for any specific titles and relevant topics.
Location & Opening Hours
The Map Library is located at:
5/F, Hong Kong Central Library,
66 Causeway Road, Causeway Bay,
Tel.: (852) 2921 0351