The Strategic Plan of Hong Kong Public Libraries (2020-2025)
In consultation with the Public Libraries Advisory Committee, the Hong Kong Public Libraries has formulated the following strategic plan to guide its development in the coming six years.
We aim to provide quality public library services to promote city-wide reading culture in Hong Kong.
- To enable access by providing a wide network of public libraries as well as free and equitable access to information and knowledge of diverse points of views to serve all residents of Hong Kong.
- To enrich knowledge by providing a gateway to information and knowledge for supporting and encouraging lifelong learning.
- To cultivate quality of life by enriching the documentary heritage of the history and culture of Hong Kong and promote Hong Kong literature and local publications.
- To inspire curiosity and creativity through reading.
- To enhance quality of library services by leveraging on new technology and the use of IT.
- To build connection and engagement through public involvement and partnership in public library services.
- To provide an accessible, user friendly and technology enabled network of public libraries to serve all residents of Hong Kong.
- To further develop library services for different user segments.
- To provide ready access to global information and knowledge.
- To support and encourage lifelong learning through a wide range of collections and services.
- To bring culture to the community.
- To further develop the Hong Kong Central Library as a territory-wide institution for learning, information, documentary heritage preservation and cultural interchange.
- To further enhance the promotion of Hong Kong literature.
- To bring a culture of reading to different levels of the community.
- To use technology to enhance the services, facilities, service quality, cost effectiveness and customer friendliness of the libraries to promote city-wide reading culture and support Hong Kong’s development as a smart city.
- To serve the community, especially special groups, by partnering with NGOs.
- To market the library services to different user segments.